Monday, May 09, 2022

VE Day

Yesterday was VE Day. You wouldn't know it though if you relied on corporate media for your news. I can see how being on the same day as Mother's Day this year would take away from the remembrance but with people seemingly calling the opposing sides "Nazis" and "fascists" at the drop of a hat - teaching why VE Day is so important is needed more now than ever.  

The lack of any coverage this year for VE Day sadly brings to mind these verses from the great song And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda:

And so now every April, I sit on me porch,
And I watch the parade pass before me.
And I see my old comrades, how proudly they march
Reviving old dreams of past glories
And the old men march slowly, old bones stiff and sore
They're tired old heroes from a forgotten war
And the young people ask "What are they marching for?"
And I ask meself the same question.

No comments:

Post a Comment