Tuesday, August 09, 2022

David McCullough


David McCullough has passed away aged 89. Always enjoyed the story of how David McCullough started as a historian. Basically, McCullough was interested in finding out some information on the Johnstown flood and was surprised to find that there wasn't any books on the subject. So McCullough took it upon himself to write a book on the flood and was a historian ever since.

Writing was always an interest of McCullough as his first job out of college was working as an editorial assistant at Sports Illustrated. In his honor - here are what I consider his top 5 books.

1. Truman
2. John Adams
3. 1776
4. Mornings on Horseback
5. The Johnstown Flood

I know that his The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal was a National Book Award winner but I could just never get through it even though I tried three separate times. That's why it didn't make the top 5.

He was an American original and for many the voice of American history.

4 comments:

  1. I really liked the Great Bridge, The Wright Brothers, 1776, Mornings on Horseback as well as the Path Between the Seas. I will have to get The Johnstown Flood and maybe Truman. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read either The Great Bridge (although I did watch the American Experience show on the bridge narrated by McCullough) or The Wright Brothers. Have to add those to my book list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kurt Harden3:58 PM

    If you haven't read The Pioneers, I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll add it to the list

    ReplyDelete