Monday, October 18, 2004

One Step at a Time

Red Sox 6 - Yankees 4. That's the first thing I checked this morning.

Last night I watched the game on and off but I gave myself a 1:00 am cutoff point and then went to bed. When I got up this morning the third thing I did was check STATS - Red Sox 6 - Yankees 4 in 12 innings. (The first and second things I did were visit the Irish library and get myself a cup of coffee.)

Truthfully, I was ambivalent about last nights game. If they were going to lose - I didn't want to invest too much time in the game. In fact I only really watched the first 7 innings during the commercial breaks from AMC where Arnold's True Lies was showing. Even after the movie - the game had to share clicker time with ESPN (the football game at first and then Sportscenter). As things dragged on - I set my 1:00 curfew. Red Sox 6 - Yankees 4.

Yesterday, I discussed the Red Sox with a friend. We were trying to decide if it was best if they were just swept and we were put out of our misery. My friend and I are both the type of guys who rip off band-aids quickly and if the Sox were to lose - just get it over. However, my friend pointed out that if the Red Sox lost it wouldn't be fair to the people who had tickets to Friday night's game that got rained out. Their tickets were good for Monday's game 5. It would suck to have tickets and then not get to use them because of a sweep. I then pointed out that it also wouldn't be fair to the Patriots. If the Red Sox season ended - then they would be hogging the spotlight and that wouldn't be fair to a team that just won 20 games in a row.

So last night my friend and I were rooting for the Red Sox to win on behalf of the Patriots and on behalf of the people who had tickets to today's game. It's not like we were emotionally invested - naw - we were just rooting on behalf of others.

After thinking about it. I have decided that I really don't want to see the Yankee players celebrating on the field at Fenway or popping Champaign corks in our locker room. The Red Sox have to at least win today to send it back to New York. That's not rooting - it's just propriety.

If there is going to be a game six - why not take things to the limit? Forcing a game 7 would be a moral victory in itself. Yeah - that's the next goal. As entertainment - these games are pretty good and there really isn't anything else worth watching on TV.

Hey - if you are going to have a game 7 - why not win that game and really stick it to the Yankees? Hey - why not? One game at a time. It seems to be working for the Patriots.

Go Red Sox! (Do you see how easily it is to be sucked back in?)

No comments:

Post a Comment