Saturday, January 27, 2018

Why You Should Stop Reading the News

"To be completely cured of newspapers, spend a year reading the previous week's newspapers." - Nassim Taleb
Interesting article on why you should stop reading the news - either in print or online. It really doesn't add to either your knowledge or happiness. How much time did you spend ruminating, debating and reading up on "shithole' countries? And that was just last week. Time wasted that could have been much better spent. (And I'm just as guilty.)

The article made me think of this quote from the late Michael Crichton about the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect. He's so right. In recent years I've seen stories on projects I've been directly involved in and almost always the stories had the facts wrong. And when I was quoted in some of these stories - the quotes were incorrect. But I'm to trust the stories in the other sections are more correct and spot on? Maybe the boxscores (but papers have stopped printing those).

Save your time and improve your happiness. Stop reading the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment