Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Howard Schultz for President

First off let me say that I don't like Starbucks. I don't like their coffee (I'm a Dunkin Donuts guy). I don't like their pretentiousness. I don't like their food. I don't like their music. And I certainly don't like their trying for force their politics down my throat when all I want is some coffee.

All that said - I like the idea of Howard Schultz running for President as an Independent.

The Democrats don't like the idea. "Traitor" they squeal. "You're just going to divide the vote and give the election to Trump!" Some have estimated that Schultz could take 7 points from the Democrats (whatever that means).

I think the real fear is Schultz will force them to abandon their most Leftist of fantasies to run on a more centrist platform. He would be the Democratic white male successful businessman saying, "That's crazy!" or "Exactly how would you pay for that?" In short he'd be the adult in the room.

Boycott Starbucks many Democrats are calling out! Good luck with that. When it comes down to it if you force a choice between the Democratic Party and someone's daily grande caffe latte - well don't be surprised to find many urban voters start changing their party affiliation from "D" to "I". And if you picket and protest in front of their daily coffee fix - well don't be surprised if those folks never come back to the fold.

I like the idea of Howard Schultz running for President. Mostly for the entertainment value.

No comments:

Post a Comment