Thursday, August 29, 2019

Three Days of the Condor

I rewatched one of my favorite movies Three Days of the Condor last night and I have some thoughts I'd like to unburden myself from. Don't get me wrong - overall the movie still holds up very well but there are a couple things worth mentioning.

First, and this has always bugged me, the Robert Redford character Turner is supposed to be a super genius who knows everything including how to crosswire 50 people together in the telephone central office but he doesn't know the area code for Washington, DC. Small thing but like I said always bugged me (and yes I know he's asking for audience exposition - still bugs me).

Second, the Max von Sydow super assassin Joubert stays at a Holiday Inn. Another minor detail but this one just amuses me. "Are you a super assassin? No but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

Third, the murder of Turner's section in the first place was a mistake. Another example of the cover-up being worse than the crime. If  Atwood never ordered the hit on Turner and his section the whole exposing of the "CIA inside the CIA" gets forgotten. Turner's group reads everything - they have too much work to obsess over a theory that only Turner thinks might be valid in the first place.

Lastly, the Cliff Robertson character Higgins might just be the real hero of the movie. He had nothing to do with the murder of Turner's section and he honestly tries to help the Redford character. Then when he learns the truth of the secret CIA inside the CIA he hires Joubert to kill Atwood and end the secret cabal. I hope the Higgins character got a nice promotion because he deserved it.

1 comment:

  1. You mention Col. Hackworth and then a few entries later this movie. What are you my Doppelganger?

    Spin
    "He reads"

    ReplyDelete