Monday, February 20, 2006

NBA All-Star Game

I watched the NBA All-Star game last night and I think that puts me in the minority.

The NBA All-Star game is my wife and mine's unofficial anniversary. Our first "date" was to watch the game years ago when Bird and Magic still instilled some passing in the game. So each year we still go out on a date on the night of the game. Last night it was out for martinis and desert and to watch the first quarter of a game that frankly my wife doesn't really care about any more.

I don't blame her for not caring about the game because I don't really care about the game either if truth be told. The game has degenerated to a game with no defense, no passing (other than alley-oops) and poor shooting (last night 102 for 213 with most of the made field goals being dunks). It's honestly a boring game. We watched the first quarter at the bar of a very nice restaurant and we had to beg to get the game put on one of the two TVs at the bar.

It was telling that the other TV had the Olympics and when I stole glances at the other patrons at the bar - every single one was watching the Olympics instead of the NBA All-Star game. Every single one. The two man bobsled was killing basketball.

We continued to watch the game when we got home but it quickly put my wife to sleep. I tried to continue to watch but soon found myself switching to The Sixth Sense and poker shows and then over to local sports shows to get my Red Sox updates. The only thing that kept me flipping back to the game was the fact that I took the under in the game (it was 254 and came in at 242).

The NBA used to be "Fan-tastic" but now it is "Thug-tastic" but everyone seems to be afraid to say it. I guess if you said that on TV you'd get fired (unless you were Bryant Gumble). It still doesn't mean that its not true. The ratings on the game won't lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment