Thursday, February 16, 2006

Sammy Sosa

It came as no surprise that Sammy Sosa's numbers fell off a cliff last year. In fact, last January I predicted exactly what would happened. It also came as no surprise that the only GM who would offer Sosa a contract this time around was Jim Bowden (aka the worst GM in baseball).

So it looks like Sosa is all done. Where does Sosa's career stand in baseball history? People know that Sosa has 588 HR but what did all those HR mean? He was the MVP in 1998 but he only had one other top 5 MVP finish in his career. To me Sosa was never a really valuable player. He was always more of a sideshow attraction.

The next guy on the HR list after Sammy Sosa is Frank Robinson (with 586 HR). When I think of Frank Robinson I think of the words "MVP" and "World Series champion" before I think of all his home runs. When I think of Sammy Sosa the only word that comes to mind before home runs is "steroids". This will be why a guy whose number 5 on the all-time HR list fails to get voted into Cooperstown.

I won't feel bad for Sammy if he doesn't get into the Hall of Fame. How can you feel bad for a guy who made over $123 million as a sideshow freak?

No comments:

Post a Comment