Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Miracle on Ice



Twenty-six years ago today the US hockey team beat the mighty Russians in Lake Placid at the 1980 Winter Olympics. Twenty-six years! Has it really been that long?

I watched the game at the Webster Square Ice Arena (which is now some sort of dollar store type market). That was where 7th and 8th graders went in those days and where the cool couples spent the entire night kissing in the stands except for when the "DJ" played a very special couples song and dimmed the lights for couples to skate around holding hands.

Don't get me wrong - I hung out with the cool kids (I got along with just about everybody) but it always bugged me that I was never out there for the couples skate or kissing in the stands. (It always bugged me that I never quite learned to skate properly either.)

So many people recall the Miracle on Ice with feelings of patriotism and joy but for me it brings back memories of hot chocolate and teenage angst.

Just thought I'd share that.

No comments:

Post a Comment