Top 10 Fantasy Baseball Catchers
Here's how I would rank catchers for fantasy baseball purposes.
1. Joe Mauer Twins - not even close. Mauer should be one of the top picks in every draft.
2. Victor Martinez Red Sox - he'll be hitting almost every day in the middle of the potent Red Sox line-up. I can see .290 / 28 / 105 type lines for V-Mart.
3. Jorge Posada Yankees - not saying Posada is the third best catcher in baseball but I am saying that he'll put up the third best set of offensive numbers.
4. Brian McCann Braves - if he did better against lefties then he'd probably be ranked above Posada.
5. Geovany Soto Cubs - I'm looking for a big bounce back year from Soto. He had the classic sophomore slup and now he's in the cliche "best shape of his life". I guess you could classify this as a sleeper pick.
6. Mike Napoli Angels - solid 20 HR / 80 RBI production.
7. Miguel Montero Diamondbacks - could be a breakout year for the 27-year old Montero.
8. Chris Iannetta Rockies - two words "Coors Field". If you can carry two catchers play Iannetta when he's at home (.929 career OPS at Coors Field) and play your other catcher when he's on the road.
9. Matt Weiters Orioles - he will probably be drafted higher in most drafts than he deserves due to the hype about his potential. I bought into the hype last year but won't get fooled again. The people I've listed above him will all post similar type numbers but probably be available for you in later rounds of the draft.
10. Russell Martin Dodgers - most people will probably have him ranked higher but I'm worried about both his off year last season and his recent groin injury which you never know could nag him throughout the year.