Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Derek Lowe

I know that at this point in time all players going into their free agent year posture for a contract before Opening Day with "threats" of "I'm going to play out the year and then move on" but in the case of Derek Lowe - I hope he gets especially good counsel regarding his future.

My understanding is that the Red Sox have offered a 3-year $27 million contract and that this is unacceptable to Lowe and his agent Scott Boras. I hope that Lowe realizes that the best he'll probably get from the Red Sox is a Andy Pettitte like 3-year $31.5 million hometown discount contract. I also hope that Lowe realizes that there is a reason why his ERA is a run lower at Fenway than on the road.

Two years from now I think Lowe would be happier with the Red Sox than with another team that pays him $1 million more per year than what the Red Sox offered but where he carries and ERA of about 4.50.

Lowe should keep an eye on another Boras client - Kevin Millwood who was offered a Andy Pettitte like contract from the Phillies. This year if Millwood has another barely over .500 season he will be hard pressed to match what the Phillies offered last year. Sometimes the devil you know is much better than the devil you don't.

I hope Bruce Hurst takes the time to talk with Lowe before Lowe makes any decision on his future. Hurst can tell him what it was like to take more money to play elsewhere and how he always regarded it as one of the big mistakes in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment