Sunday, March 28, 2004

Field of Dreams

Last night Field of Dreams was on Turner Classic Movies. This gives me the opportunity to both give it a Star Power Value (SPV) ranking and to get two things off my chest about the movie.

Field of Dreams - SPV 38 (Costner 7, Madigan 2, Hoffman 2, Liotta 2, Busfield 3, Jones 10, Lancaster 12) - this means Field of Dreams in now the SPV leader among the films I've looked at (replacing Silverado which had a SPV of 37).

Two things have always bothered me about the movie:

1. The voice shows Ray the field with home plate away from the house but Ray builds it completely opposite from the vision with home plate near the house. The voice didn't say "If you build it completely opposite from the way I show you - he will come."

2. Near the end where Busfield's character threatens to foreclose - why doesn't Terence Mann just say "I'll give you the money Ray"? The guy was supposedly one of the most successful authors of the 60's and also a successful children's software publisher - he had to have money. It makes me wonder if Terence Mann was just a cheap SOB who probably didn't chip in for gas on the trip out from Boston either.

Observation that I probably should keep to myself: If they ever made a Spiderman movie called Bride of the Green Goblin then Amy Madigan has to be cast as the lead opposite Peter Parker.

No comments:

Post a Comment