Sunday, March 28, 2004

Fantasy Baseball

I have made my first fantasy baseball trade of the year. I know that there is nothing more boring than reading (or listening) to someone talk about their fantasy baseball team (except maybe listening to someone recreate and describe every shot they had after playing a round of golf). I won't be talking about my fantasy team in this space unless I see a player who has unseen value or conversely a player you should get rid of.

However, since this is my first trade of the year - I thought I'd mention it. I traded Bill Mueller and Jim Edmonds for Mike Lowell and Johnny Damon. Going strictly by rankings - it would seem like I got the worst of this deal but I think both Mueller and Edmonds had career years last year and will be unlikely to reach those levels again. Damon should have an excellent year for the Red Sox - he has altered his approach at the plate (which should result in more hits) and his personal problems from a year ago are behind him. Lowell is an injury risk but so was Edmonds. This deal was made more by gut instinct than by numbers crunching.

Last year my first deal was to trade Vlade Guerrero and Tejada for Manny Ramirez and Nomar. On paper - I definitely got the worst of that deal at the time but I thought Tejada would have a awful start because of his contract situation and that Vlade was due for an off year. I was right on both counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment