Peter Yared discusses how San Francisco and the Bay Area in general have become similar to a large declining tech company. He documents five categories of similarities between San Fran and Yahoo!:
1. The monoculture and the shunning of heretics
2. The declining brand and the power of buzz
3. The empty campus and petty crime
4. The people who leave and the people who stay
5. The shenanigans with finances and metrics
Very insightful and accurate comparisons. And the conclusion is spot on; "The Bay Area needs the equivalent: people who know how to grow a metropolitan area, build housing and infrastructure, and attract new business. The problem is that the voters have to vote for a change agent, and the change agents are all moving to Miami."