Sunday, September 13, 2026

Antifragile

"With personal risk, you can easily barbell yourself by removing the chances of ruin in any area. I am personally completely paranoid about certain risks, then really aggressive with others. The rules are: no smoking, no sugar (particularly fructose), no motorcycles, no bicycles in town or more generally outside a traffic free area such as the Sahara desert, no mixing with the Eastern European mafia, and no getting on a plane not flown by a professional pilot (unless there is a co-pilot). Outside of these I can take all manner of professional and personal risks, particularly those in which there is no risk of terminal injury...

So take for now that a barbell strategy with respect to randomness results in achieving antifragility thanks to the mitigation of fragility, the clipping of downside risks of harm - reduced pain from adverse events, while keeping the benefits of potential gains."

You'll have to read the book to understand the barbell strategy. Not bad life advice.

2 comments:

  1. I accepted a great deal of some risk but little to none of the kind I disliked. It all evens out and then you catch a video of the death and destruction incident to simply driving safely down your own lane of the highway and you realize all that risk reduction really means nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I accepted a great deal of some risk but little to none of the kind I disliked. It all evens out and then you catch a video of the death and destruction incident to simply driving safely down your own lane of the highway and you realize all that risk reduction really means nothing at all."

      Copied you comment because I wasn't sure if I accidently deleted it but you're right. So many times you dud something dangerous just because you thought it was fun. Those are the memories we keep but if we share them we get told "Do you know how dangerous that was?"

      But I also agree that at some point risk reduction makes sense. I'd prefer to die from old age than from diving off a bridge.

      Delete