Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Flotsam and Jetsam

Miscellaneous thoughts and observations.

Not for nothing but I'd look for the Red Sox to get much better offensive production across the board from their outfielders in 2008. Manny had an off year last season but supposedly is working out like a madman. I don't think it is out of line to expect a 30 HR 110 RBI season from the ManRam. In center - Coco Crisp hit just .268 with a .712 OPS last year. I'd expect those numbers to improve with either Jacoby Ellsbury taking over or Coco winning back his job. I also think that this year will see JD Drew hit 20 HR and drive in 100 runs for the Sox. Drew had to adjust to Boston last year and the health problems his son had must have effected his performance. Drew was Boston's hottest hitter in September last year (.342 BA and 1.072 OPS) and I'm hoping that carries over to the start of this season... The LaDainian Tomlinson action figure. I'm sorry but I can't help but think of Tomlinson as a spoiled diva. Remind me again - what's any of his teams ever won?... Interesting look back at the Andy Marte / Edgar Renteria / Coco Crisp deals. I must point out that the analysis of the trade made here at the time is pretty spot on:
The key player from the Indians side is Andy Marte who is rated by Baseball America as the 9th best prospect in baseball. I have no problem saying that I hope Donald B. our expert on all things related to Georgia sports (especially Braves baseball) is right when he says that Marte is nothing but the second coming of Melvin Nieves.
Nice call by Donald. Melvin Nieves indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment