Monday, January 31, 2005

Travel Notes

Not to go all Peter King here and describe my "aggravating/interesting" travel notes of the week but yesterday's flight to Atlanta is worthy of note.

I flew out of Logan (and I hate Logan). My flight was at 7:45 so I was up at 4:30. I got to the airport no problem. I got on the plane no problem. We pull away from the gate and then the problems began.

First the Captain came on the intercom to say that they were having a radio problem and would have to return to the gate. Ten minutes later the Captain comes back on the intercom to inform us that due to weather issues in Atlanta - this flight has been canceled.

When I go back to the Delta desk - I'm told that I'm on standby for the 9:15 and if I miss that flight that I'm confirmed for the 7:00 PM flight. I was not looking forward to spending the whole day at Logan so I had my fingers crossed for getting on the 9:15.

I do get on the 9:15 which is a 767 with a setup of 2 seats, three seats in the middle and then another 2 seats. I'm supposed to be in 41B which is an aisle seat but there's a guy sitting in my seat (with the window seat open). My first assumption was that since this guy is a pretty big guy that he was just spreading out (by big I mean borderline asking him to buy two tickets big). Oh, have I mentioned that the second thing I noticed about the guy was his smell which was a pungent combination of cigarette smoke and dandruff.

The first thing I did when seated was to put down the arm rest between us as a way of saying "you paid for that seat and I paid for this one." I then gave full attention to my book but out of the corner of my eye I saw twitching. Pretty constant spasmodic hand movements and occasional shoulder spasms. I felt pity for the guy, sorry for my poor seating fate and thankful that this was a direct flight all at once.

Once in the air I decide to close my eyes and take a nap (did I mention I got up at 4:30?). Nap I did and it was a good nap but when I awoke I looked to my left and saw a black cat with pure green eyes staring at me. This freaked me out. The cat was sitting on heavyset-smokey-dandruff guys lap. Have I mentioned that this freaked me out?

I notice that the twitching had ceased - so I think if the cat has a calming effect no big deal to me if HSD guy has a cat on his lap. Then I wondered how he was able to smuggle a cat on the plane. Then I saw the stewardesses coming with the drink cart and I figure - "let them deal with this."

HSD guy also notices the stewardesses coming and he tried to put the cat into a gymbag-looking pet carrying case he had between his legs but the cat wanted no part of going back in the gymbag. At this point I was debating weather to stop the cat if he made a break for it or to just let the cat go and let the rest of the flight enjoy the symbolism of a black cat on a flight heading into bad weather.

The stewardess saw the cat and tells HSD guy that the cat has to go back into the carrying case. Now the cat complies and we get our drinks - gingerale for me and diet Coke for HSD guy. Now the twitching returns. Now HSD spills his drink on my leg. I got up to get some napkins from the stewardesses in back. When I ask for napkins they ask if I spilled my drink. "No, cat guy did", I reply. They thought this was funny and my spirits were lifted.

The rest of the flight was uneventful but then Delta lost my luggage. That's the sort of time I've been having down here in Atlanta.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment