Friday, January 21, 2005

Comma Man



Bill Simmons latest ESPN.com offering is about a Red Sox fan who missed the Red Sox winning the World Series because he was in a coma. I didn't think it was one of Bill's better pieces. His columns for ESPN the Magazine never seem to meet the same quality as his regular Page 2 pieces or his epic Boston Sports Guy pieces of yore. I remember a recent piece on poker that was just awful. In that piece Simmons confessed to being afraid of playing the poker tables at Foxwoods for months before he worked up the courage to sit down and play. Ever since then I thought of him as sort of a wuss.

Oops - sorry went off on a tangent there.

The reason I'm bringing this up at all is because when I saw the column on the "Coma Man" - my brain misfired and read it as "Comma Man." Once the idea of Comma Man instead of Coma Man had a foothold into my consciousness, it kicked the door wide open, went right to the fridge to make a sandwich and then camped out on the couch with the clicker while I tried to keep from being distracted by it and get some work done. I tried but failed.

I couldn't stop wondering what a super hero like Comma Man would be like. I picture him as the younger, less well known, younger brother of Letterman from The Electric Company fame (you remember the Electric Company right? It had a young Morgan Freeman and the show was on right before or right after Zoom). I am starting to even imagine what the Adventures of Comma Man would be like.

Man I need to weekend to get here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment