Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Lynch Family Book Fair - or How My Day Went

I had a very busy day (I will refrain from any Teddy Geisel Hop on Pop rhyming) and my two youngest kids had their first book fair of the year plus my wife had a ladies night out. This confluence of events brought together a confluence of events.

Blogwise today was a banner day here at A Large Regular.. I had about 13,000 hits from my latest Instalanche (duel Instalanche? - Glenn did mention my post twice). That's great! An Instalanche is something a blogger like me savors. I've had eight or nine now and each one is akin to the blogger high a heroine junkie probably experiences when that needle first pierces the skin. I bet the behind the scenes biography of Instapundit is probably called Train Spotting II (I'm just kidding - I've never done heroin but can it be more addicting than blogging?).

First off - sorry for the lack of posting today. I had to go to HQ and we had some Internet access issues. My company has a very unique solution to IP congestion issues but it doesn't work re: firewall issues. (FYI normally real-time IP flows cause congestion at just 8-10% of network utilization but my company can pump that up to 75-80% plus - without packet loss - email me if you have applications! I work on commission!)

Anyway - about my post about Clinton and the "new and old media" - some very valid points were made in the comments. Many of the people who visit here think I'm a died-in-the-wool Republican but its probably more true that I'm a Democrat that wants to believe.

I got some additional thoughts on the subject but I'll probably post them later.

Today was the first of many book fairs for my two youngest. As far as fund raisers go - I like book fairs the best. Magazine drives probably fall second on the list but the other junk drives really drive me nuts. Teach the kids the Four R's and I'll teach them how to sell - thank you very much.

Anyway part deuce - my wife was heading out and she fed the youngest three but the oldest had crew practice. When I got home I decided on an impromptu Lynch Book Fair. A local bookstore has a very good restaurant/cafe and I gave each kid who already had dinner $6 to pick out a book ($6 just because I knew I'd spend $20 between the three kids). My son was upset because he had already read every Animorph book they had (he's in 3rd grade and has been tested at a 136+ IQ) so he settled on a Secrets of Droon book plus a magazine. The other kids found their books while my oldest had some dinner (vegetable shepherds pie plus side of red mashed potatoes) and I had a beer and read a book (Ace on the River by Barry Greenstein).

Well that's my day so far. Let me end by saying that my dream is to sometime greet visitors to my home by saying "Welcome to the Bonanza my friends!" and mean it without dementia or asking if they would like a smoking or non-smoking section.

Bonanza!!

No comments:

Post a Comment