Monday, September 26, 2005

NFL Flotsam and Jetsam

Miscellaneous NFL thoughts and observations.

- That 4th quarter against Pittsburgh is illustration of why the Patriots are champions. After the Steelers scored a TD to tie the score at 20-20, thousands of Patriot fans all thought "they left too much time on the board". I knew that Tom Brady would put the team in position for the win. Just knew it. It was like giving Larry Bird in his prime the ball at the end of a game with the score tied.

- Nick Saban is exhibit A on what a good coach can do for an organization. If Dave Wannstedt was coach the Dolphins this year - I'm convinced they would be 0-3 right now.

- Did you hear any of the announcers talk about how the Patriots miss Charlie Weiss during the fourth quarter of the Pittsburgh game? I didn't think so.

- Did anyone else catch Paul McGuire of ESPN say that "Antonio Gates catches everything with his hands"? What did McGuire think people caught balls with - their chins? I'm really glad that McGuire is getting put out to pasture after this year. And yes I know he was contrasting a "hands" guy with a guy who catches ball with his body but I really wanted to work that balls on chin joke in there.

- Chad Pennington = Rob Johnson. No question in my mind. OK maybe Chad Pennington = Tony Eason.

- If I was starting a team - I would much rather have Carson Palmer as my QB than Ben Roethlisberger. Just sayin'.

- After 3 games - there are 9 teams in the AFC who have scored more points than the vaunted Indianapolis offense. There are 20 teams total in the NFL with more points scored than the Colts.

- Drew Bledsoe can't run yet he's been sacked 6 times to Michael Vick's 7 times. Put me in the camp that says Vick is overrated. The Falcons would be better off with Trent Dilfer as starting QB and they definitely would have been better off with Ladainian Tomlinson at RB than Vick at QB. Vick and the Falcons play the Patriots in a couple of weeks and I can almost guarantee that Vick will have 3 turnovers against the Patriots and he'll basically cost them the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment