Friday, May 21, 2010

Top 5 - Celtics Starting 5 and their Celtics Past Counterparts

The other day Chad Finn of the Boston Globe mentioned how Kendrick Perkins reminded him of former Celtics great Paul Silas. Not only do I agree with that comparison - it got me thinking of what past Celtic great matches up with each of the current starting 5.

1. Rajon Rondo - this to me is the easiest of the bunch. Rondo has always reminded me of Tiny Archibald.

2. Ray Allen - I'm going with Dennis Johnson for this comparison. Both players were not only traded to the Celtics but also both players made their NBA names playing for Seattle. Both players brought a veteran presence and acted as examples for the younger players to emulate. Similarities in their jump shots? Not so much.

3. Paul Pierce - this may be a bit of a stretch but when I think of who Paul Pierce most reminds me of it's John Havlicek. Both were top picks of the Celtics, never played for any other team, about the same height and weight and both never really received the recognition for their scoring ability. Havlicek averaged 20.8 points per game in his career while Pierce is currently at 22.5 points per game. Is it really a stretch to think Pierce may wind up his career at 20.8?

4. Kevin Garnett - KG reminds me of a cross between Dave Cowens and Bill Russell. He has the athletic ability and nimbleness of Russell and the intensity of Cowens. That's high praise for Mr. Garnett.

5. Kendrick Perkins - Paul Silas.

No comments:

Post a Comment