Thursday, October 17, 2019

Concussions

Interesting article on concussions in high school sports. Skimming the article it would be easy to come away with the conclusion that girls' soccer (8.19 per 10,000 athlete exposures) is almost as dangerous as boy's football (10.4 per 10,000 athlete exposures).

Surprising - right?

My issue with the study stems from their very definition of a concussion which according to the article is "defined as occurring as a result of practice or competition, requiring medical attention and being diagnosed as a concussion." [Bold emphasis added.]

I suffered a concussion my senior year during practice. I was the starting tight end (and defensive end) and the play called for me to run a crossing route and then...

All I remember is getting up and everyone (coaches included) cheering and laughing about the big hit I just took. I simply walked back to the huddle for the next play. Teammates clapping me on the back at how stoically I was shaking off the big hit. Truth is I was in a fog. I had no idea what people were talking about. I was briefly knocked out.

That concussion did not require medical attention and was not diagnosed as a concussion. I have to wonder how many other similar boy's football situations may have gotten missed by this study. I also have to think that any head injuries in girls soccer are much more likely to get noticed and get medical attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment