Friday, October 25, 2019

A Modest Proposal

Here's a modest proposal to help reduce the national debt. Get rid of the penny.

Hear me out!

The national government announces that the US will no longer be minting pennies. And that from now on every tax will be ROUNDED UP to the nearest nickel. At the same time every check the government sends out and every expenditure will be ROUNDED DOWN to the nearest nickel. .

All the extra revenue gained from rounding up would be applied to reduce the national debt. And the rounding down would add up to some serious savings overall. It helps on both sides of the financial ledger.

Think the plot to Superman III or Office Space but on steroids and on a much larger scale.

How would this not work? People wouldn't even notice.

3 comments:

  1. I don't like it because there is no guarantee that it would happen. Just like when states sold the idea of lotteries saying the money would be used for education, etc.
    But that didn't happen either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Linda - it also gets rid of pennies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but I feel I lose twice with rounding up and rounding down.
      I don't mind getting rid of pennies. I can put them in jars and donate them to a soup kitchen or something.
      I just don't think letting the government do it is in my best interests.

      Delete