Tuesday, November 23, 2004

The Pass - 20 Years Later

Today is the 20th anniversary of "The Pass". Flutie to Phelan. BC over Miami. I remember it well.

It was the day after Thanksgiving and I was a senior in high school. The day before I played almost every down as the St. Peter-Marian Guardians beat St. Johns (even though St. Johns has over 1,100 more boys from which to pick) in the longest running parochial school rivalry in the country.

I was over my friend's Sean's house. His dad had a den where he often sat, smoked a cigar and enjoyed a cold beer while watching sports on TV. Sean, myself and a couple other guys from the football team did likewise that Friday (because Sean's dad and mom were away).

Sean made us turkey sandwiches, another firiend got the cigars and I picked up a case of Bud (because I was the one with the ID). I don't remember much from the game but I do remember all of us jumping for joy when the pass was caught.

There are too few times in a man's life when you can be utterly, blissfully happy without a care in the world and that was one of those times for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment