Friday, November 12, 2004

What is a large regular?

If you go into any coffee shop in Massachusetts (or most of New England for that matter) and ask for a "large regular" - you will get a large coffee with cream and sugar. Since I frequently travel, I know that this phrase is pretty unique to this area. In other parts of the country a coffee with cream and sugar is called a coffee with cream and sugar - not regular (that's for gasoline as far as the rest of the country is concerned).

The name of the blog also works on another level since I consider myself "large" (a little over 6 feet and a little over 200 pounds - more over 200 pounds than over 6 feet by the way) and a "regular" guy (with regular guy interests).

Now I hope that the phrase "a large regular" doesn't have some unknown fetish context. I was also afraid that it may have some sort of Lane Bryant type connotation. However, since most of the good names seem to be already taken and since the other unique New England phrase that came to mind definitely would have more subtext baggage (I thought about using the word "packie" - which is what we call a liquor store in New England but I figured that word would definitely have some gay meaning. If I was going to name the blog "The Packie" I might as well name myself "The Catcher" - not that there is anything wrong with that).

Anyway - that's the explanation behind "A Large Regular". Any questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment