Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Felon Voting Rights



Large Bill points to the fact that Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack is issuing an order to restore voting rights to felons who have served their sentences.

The above made me think of this.

From The Simpsons episode The Black Widower where Sideshow Bob marries Bart's aunt Selma with the intention of murdering her on their wedding night by blowing her up in a hotel room full of natural gas (oops sorry for the spoiler):
Sideshow Bob, "But wait, if you saved Selma, why did the room explode?"
Chief Wiggum: "Me and the boys were celebrating a job well done," [cut to Wiggum, Homer, and a few cops smoking cigars] "When I threw my match in the vicinity of the crime scene."
The police start to take Sideshow Bob away, and he yells, "I'll be back. You can't keep the democrats out of the White House forever. And when they get in, I'm back on the streets, with all my criminal buddies!" (Maniacal laughter).
Turns out that I guess we need to keep the democrats out of the Governors mansions as much as the White House I guess. Not only get them back on the streets but get them their vote back as well? What's next? Just enough pardons to swing an election? Harry Truman must be spinning in his grave. Couple this with the crying over the treatment of prisoners at Gitmo and I don't see how the democrats can avoid being painted as not only soft on crime but also of coddling and pandering to criminals.

No comments:

Post a Comment