Monday, June 20, 2005

MMQB Review

Here are the five things I think I think about today's Monday Morning Quarterback column by Peter King.

1. Selective stat alert:
I like [Sammy] Knight, who's a turnover-maker; no player in the league has as many takeaways (fumble recoveries and interceptions) over the past eight years as Knight's 46. (Stole that one from Chiefs Web site maestro, Kansas City radioman and Hall of Fame voting peer Bob Gretz. Great, great note.)
Why pick 8 years? Isn't that a bit long? Isn't ths like Denver saying no reciever has had more receptions over the past 20 years than Jerry Rice? Cool stat but what does it have to do with current production. All the stat King picked out tells me is that Sammy Knight has been in the league a long time.

2. Call Southwest next time Mr. Butterpants:
Can someone explain why flying in and out of Kansas City is as difficult as flying in and out of Altoona? There are hardly any non-stops. Small planes galore. I'm sure it has everything to do with market size, but for a significant American city to have such a poor schedule of flights is bizarre.
KC is a hub for Southwest and you can almost always get a direct flight there with Southwest. Problem is - Southwest charges larger patrons for two seats if their ass can fit in a single.

3. I completely agree:
I will say this about Kansas City: That baseball park is underrated. Caught Dodgers and Royals game with some Chiefs' front-office folks on Wednesday -- Jose Lima's 14th start of the year and first win -- and was astounded to hear there's some sentiment about moving the team to a new downtown park. OK, I love downtown ballparks. But sitting upstairs between third and home, looking out on the fountains, the green hills, the grass and I-70, I thought: Other than the really new parks and the Fenways and Wrigleys
I've been to many parks and KC remains a favorite.

4. I'm telling you - under the surace the NBA is in real trouble:
I'm more interested in the NHL settling its strike and getting ready for a full season than in the NBA Finals. I've seen exactly zero minutes of that.
This thought by King almost echoes exactly the thought I had on the NBA this morning.

5. None of King's children were mentioned in the column. That's always a huge plus in my book. It's even a bigger accomplishment when you consider yesterday was Father's Day. I half expected KIng to allow Mary Beth to guest write the column.

No comments:

Post a Comment