Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Morning Rant

The Pesky Pole giveth and the Pesky Pole taketh away. Last night the Red Sox were leading 8-7 into the 9th and then the wheels fell off. First Mark Bellhorn screwed up an excellent throw from Manny which would have nailed a runner at second (that's the second error in two nights for Bellhorn) and then Keith Foulke gave up a grand slam that just made it past the Pesky Pole. I didn't have any money on the game but I do have Keith Foulke as my closer on two fantasy teams. Yuck!

My "bad" luck continued in the online poker tourneyment I entered. It was a $50+2 entry fee with $10,000 guaranteed in prize money. I played solid but finished out of the money because of two hands. In one hand I had AK suited and the flop came A, 6, 7 and a guy who was rather loose bet all-in for half my stack. I called and he showed QQ. Of course the next card was another Q. In the last hand I was getting close to finshing in the money but I was short stack with just $500 with $200/100 blinds coming up. A guy in front of me bet $500 and I called with a 55. There was a second caller behind me who went all-in for $1,000 and the first guy called that too. They both had A-K and my pair was in good shape. The flop came 9,X, 9 and the turn was another blank. Of course the river was another A and I was out. Fiddle-dee-dee today is another day.

It looks like the Celtics really struck gold last night with their picks of Gerald Green and Ryan Gomes. This is going to be a really good team in 3-years.

Yesterday I meant to post about the book the Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. The battle of Gettysburg started on June 29th 1863 and the past few years I have re-read the book at this time of year. There is no overstating the importance of the Union victory to the history of this country but sadly so few are aware of the history of this battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment