Friday, June 10, 2005

Flotsam and Jetsam

Miscellaneous thoughts and observations.

Last year Angels fans would probably have told you that Colon is American for ass. As in "Bartolo really sucks ass" or "super Colon blow." This year Angels fans would probably tell you that Colon is actually Spanish for Columbus as in "the new world of a 3.10 ERA"... The real reason the Pistons lost last night was because Ben Wallace did not wear his afro. Simple as that... I really disliked the movie Chariots of Fire. I disliked it for the same reasons that many people have given like "its boring" or "its wicked gay". I also disliked it because of its title. In the period the movie was set - the term "chariots of fire" referred to trains. To take a "chariot of fire" was to take a train not run on the beach in your undies... One of the toughest questions in sports today has to be the question "who is the more unassuming superstar - Tim Duncan or Tom Brady?"... I cannot recommend the movie Cinderella Man enough. Great flick. I'll see it again and buy the DVD when it comes out. One thing that bothered me is the fact that even though many sportswriters were portrayed in the movie - the director did not have anyone cast as Damon Runyon even though it was Runyon who gave Jim Braddock the nickname of Cinderella Man. Runyon is one of my favorite writers. I've been trying to come up with my list of the top 5 US writers of all-time and I'd be pressed to keep Runyon off the list... Is Jeff Gordon really the world's fastest Christian?

No comments:

Post a Comment