Sunday, June 19, 2005

Flotsam and Jetsam

Miscellaneous thoughts and observations.

Visible Radiation would be a good name for a band... Betsy has an excellent reminder of what a piece of dirt Robert Byrd truly is... Barry Bonds is a (blank)... I got an email last night from someone who promised "results so good you'll need new underwear". Now I assume this was a penis enlargement deal but it also could have been something so good that I would shit my pants. Now we will never know because it went straight to the trash... Don't forget - July is American Beer Month... OK - how many finished the sentence "Barry Bonds is a (blank)" by saying "prick (or asshole)" or "cheating bastard"? How many said "great hitter"? That's his legacy in a nutshell...This is one of my all-time favorite stats: Did you know that Tris Speaker actually had more triples in his career (222) than strikeouts (220)?.... The two player nicknames that I've come up with and like the most are Sidney "Greenstreet" Ponson and Bartolo "Meet the Klumps" Colon... Do you think a cartoon strip about a wife-beating drunk like Andy Capp would ever make it into the papers today?.. Ronald Reagan quote for the day, "Whatever else history may say about me when I'm gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears". It occurs to me that Reagan was the true turning point in US politics. He made the Republican Party into the party of solutions by his very example. Today the Republicans are the ones getting things done while the Democrats seem either mired in Vietnam era nostalga or asking "why do they hate us"?

No comments:

Post a Comment