Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Braves / Pirates Deal

The Pittsbugh Post-Gazette reports a deal that would send Adam LaRoche from the Braves in exchange for closer Mike Gonzalez is on hold.

My initial reaction to this deal is to not like it from the Braves point of view. A starting 1st baseman who is just 27-years old and can hit 30+ HR with a .900+ OPS is more valuable than a closer with a history of injuries. Right? LaRoche also has 3 more years before he becomes a free agent.

After thinking about it for a moment – I asked myself if I would favor a Wily Mo Pena trade for Mike Gonzalez and I think I would go for that transaction. Pena is even younger than LaRoche and just a big a threat to hit a HR every AB. You also have to consider that the fate of the NL East seems to turn on who has the most reliable closer these past five or six years and that the Braves have Jarrod Saltalamacchia in the wings to play first (he’s just to big too play catcher).

So after thinking about it – I think this would be a good trade for both teams as long Gonzalez’ elbow is healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment