Tuesday, December 05, 2006

JD Drew Signs with the Red Sox

JD Drew has signed a 5-year deal worth $70 million with the Red Sox and I really don’t know how to feel about this deal.

On one hand – I can be positive about this deal and point out that Baseball-reference.com lists Jim Edmonds as the most similar player through age 30. If the Red Sox are getting the offensive equivalent of Jim Edmonds for the next five years – then this is obviously a good deal.

I can look at the positive but I must be honest and say that trying to adopt that attitude makes me feel like a chump. Like a Pollyanna. I have to say that I don’t get it. To echo Bob Ryan, “Why the fascination with JD Drew?”

With JD Drew in the fold the Red Sox now have four players who should be starting but only three positions. It looks like Manny Ramirez in left, Coco Crisp in center and now JD Drew in right. That leaves Wily Mo Pena seemingly out in the cold.

Why did the Red Sox trade Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena if he wasn’t in their plans? Or is he? Maybe there is another shoe to drop. I speculated about this before. Maybe a trade of Manny, Coco or Wily is in the cards. I guess we just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment