Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Top 5 - Moments from A Band of Brothers

The guys over at Cold, Hard Football Facts had an interesting post recently on the best scenes from A Band of Brothers. I had some disagreement with their selections - so I'm posting my own (but instead of a top 10 - I'm just selecting my top 5).

1. Spiers takes command of Easy - the scene of Spiers jumping through the smoke to assume command from Lt. Dike gives me chills every time.

2. Liebgott translates the defeated German General's speech to his men. A poignant speech which showed the German soldiers as similar to the men of Easy Company. The humor of Captain Sobel having to salute Major Winters was the cherry on top.

3. Easy Co takes the Eagles Nest. It was nice to see the guys enjoy some well earned R & R (and spoils of war - including a nice cache of booze for Captain Nixon).

4. Easy takes out the German 105s at Brecourt Manor - I've written before that Dick Winters should have been awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions that day.

5. Easy retakes their foxhole positions outside of Bastogne. This past winter an ice storm hit Central Massachusetts that was so severe that some folks lost power for more than a week and tree tops in entire forests are missing as if they were blown apart by German tree burst shells like the ones Easy had to endure. I can't drive anywhere in Central Mass without seeing damaged trees (which in turn makes me think of the scenes from A Band of Brothers).

I disagree especially with the choice of top scene from Band of Brothers by the folks at CHFF mainly because of the inclusion of Jimmy Fallon as the jeep driver who supplies Easy with ammunition. Seeing Fallon always ruins it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment