Sunday, March 15, 2009

Flotsam and Jetsam

Miscellaneous thoughts and observations.

How many people do you think watched Syracuse play for the first time this year and said to themselves, "Jonny Flynn is black?".... It has to be said for emphasis - the Yankees offense will not be close to what it was last year. Of course you have the loss of Alex Rodriguez but you also have the switch from Bobby Abreu (20 HR and 100 RBI) to either Xavier Nady or Nick Swisher in right field plus the loss of Jason Giambi who had 32 HR and 96 RBI last season. Even before A-Rod went down the Yankees weren't going to equal the combined 52 HR and 196 RBI they got last season from RF and 1st base even with the addition of Mark Teixeira... I've got to agree with Mike Mayock. I saw Georgia play a number of games the past two years and not once did I think I was watching a QB who was the best in the land. Matt Stafford I think will be a Joey Harrington type disappointment... I think if the WBC games really counted for anything - then Puerto Rico's 11-1 thrashing of team USA would disqualify Puerto Rico from statehood for all time. As it stands nobody really cares. As a sad aside - I bet at least 50% of high school students today wouldn't be able to find Puerto Rico on a map... Jay Cutler is giving off Jeff George type vibes to me. If winning was important to Cutler - explain to me why he chose to go to Vanderbilt University (no knock on Vandy). Ego is more important than winning it seems to me in the case of Cutler... Happy 30th birthday to Kevin Youkilis....

No comments:

Post a Comment