Thursday, June 03, 2010

Armando Galarraga’s Perfect Game was a Lesson in Grace

Joe Posnanski once again pens a wonderful column. This time on Armando Galarraga's perfect gem and Jim Joyce's horrible mistake.

There have been 20 perfect games pitched in the history of major league baseball. If Jim Joyce made the right call last night then there would have been 21. People would have celebrated the great achievement for a few days and then slowly forgot it. I can remember Dallas Braden and Roy Halladay's perfect games but if you were to ask me who pitched the ones just before them - I would draw a blank. Perfect games and no-hitters get jumbled up in people's memories - mine included.

I will remember Armando Galarraga's perfect game that wasn't though. I'll remember how he was robbed of history by an honest mistake. I'll remember how he handled the situation with class and yes grace - grace in the religious metaphysical sense. I'll remember how he smiled.

Armando Galarraga's game and his reaction to it were truly unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment