Sunday, February 20, 2022

Vincent and the Doctor

 

Went to the Van Gogh Immersion Exhibit in Boston and afterwards I was troubled. Not by the exhibition - it was beautiful - but by the above episode of Dr Who. In the episode the Doctor shows Van Gogh the impact he had in his life. It was OK for the Doctor to show him the future because Van Gogh was about to die.

But Van Gogh committed suicide. Did the Doctor tell him if he killed himself he'd be famous? Because seeing the impact Van Gogh has in the future should have been enough to snap him out of the deepest depression. Now I'm troubled by the episode.

3 comments:

  1. Saw the episode and saw the Immersion. I am afraid I did not care for the Immersion. Someone described it as a 90 minute screensaver. I did see a number of Vincent's works I was not familiar with. But I think I was expecting more. We saw it in the crummy old Strand theater, with zero parking available. We just had to wear masks, now they want proof of vaccination. I have not recommended it to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were two shows - the one at the Strand was the "fake" show as my girlfriend puts it. The one we saw was the larger show but both were like giant screensavers. It was $100 (including parking) for two people. I enjoyed it but as you cycle through you really want to be done with it.

    I think if you go into it with proper (or low) expectations you enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stretch3:47 PM

    Steven Moffat, writter/show runner of Dr. Who, could make you laugh, cry, and swear all inside 10 seconds. He treated the viewer as intelligent people and, as a result, left you wondering and thinking.

    ReplyDelete