Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Quitting the News is the New Quitting Cigarettes

"To be completely cured of newspapers, spend a year reading the previous week's newspapers." Nicolas Nassim Taleb

Interesting post comparing the mental and physical health benefits gained by quitting consuming the news and how it's similar to those of quitting smoking.  

And I feel better. Way, way better. It feels like a war that used to be fought in my backyard is now being fought on Neptune instead. I feel relieved of my duty to keep track of the whole world, and now I realize I never had that duty in the first place. My brain got quieter and I started hearing myself think instead of hearing myself worry.

Read the whole thing - some interesting research. Makes me wonder what's worse for American society - all the sugar we consume in our diet - or all the news we consume?

2 comments:

  1. At least sugar tastes good, so it has some purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At worst sugar can turn you fat and diabetic. The "news" meanwhile is turning people into woke unthinking zombies.

    I'd rather be fat and diabetic.

    ReplyDelete