Thursday, July 14, 2022

Nokia and the Smartphone


"In 2004, a handful of excited Nokia engineers created a new kind of phone: Internet ready, with a big color touchscreen display and a high-resolution camera. They proposed another crazy idea to go along with the phone: an online app store. The leadership team - the same widely admired, cover-story leadership team - shot down both projects. Three years later, the engineers saw their crazy ideas materialize on a stage in San Francisco. Steve Jobs unveiled the iPhone. Five years later, Nokia was irrelevant."  - Safi Bahcall Loonshots  

2 comments:

  1. I ordered the book Loonshots -- it should be good. I enjoyed Walter Isaacson's The Innovators, I forget if we talked about that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think we have. I know I've posted about The Innovators. Had Loonshots on my bookshelf for quite some time but yesterday decided to pick it up to read it. So far - very interesting and well written.

    ReplyDelete