Sunday, May 19, 2019

Books

This article - Books: why the Internet hasn't killed them off left me wondering if people needed it to be explained that books are awesome. That's why the Internet hasn't killed them off.

The article does make the point that the Internet has actually increased the awareness of books and their availability. It doesn't mention Amazon by name but Amazon and the Internet has made access to lots of new and used books easily available to anyone with an Internet connection.

Before the Internet Amazon didn't exist and I did not have a book wish list - now I do. And what's on that list are primarily books I've heard recommended on podcasts or read about in articles or interviews or blog posts. All from the Internet.

I buy at least one book from that Amazon list every 2 weeks. Combined with the books I pick up from used book stores or libraries (who are always selling excess books) - I have stacks of unread books which I try to chip away at best I can.

I also try to unclutter my life by getting rid of one possession a day. That could be a piece of clothing, an old work notebook, an old file that's no longer relevant, something. But that something rarely includes a book. That's the one thing I allow my self to accumulate without guilt.

Because books are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment