Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Mike Piazza's Place Among The All-Time Catchers

My all-time rankings for catchers

1. Yogi Berra - 9 World Series wins and 3 regular season MVP's - 15 All-Star games - he was and is the best of All-Time

2. Ivan Rodriguez - .304 / 231 HR / 914 RBI / 942 runs - 10 consecutive Gold Gloves. MVP 1999 (should have gone to Pedro) World Series MVP 2003 (half as many post-season games as Bench but twice as many RBI). 10 All-Star Games. Admit it. You laughed when the Marlins announced that I-Rod signing last year would bring them a World Series. Admit it - you laughed when he signed with Detroit and said that the team would win.

3. Johnny Bench - .267 / 389 HR / 1376 RBI / 1091 runs - 2 legit MVP's, 10 consecutive Gold-Gloves. I could accept the argument of him as better than I-Rod but in my mind I-Rod has passed Bench.

4. Mike Piazza - the best offensive catcher of all-time but not as well rounded as any of the players above him.

No comments:

Post a Comment