Thursday, April 29, 2004

Miscellaneous Thoughts

Some morning observations while I have my first cup of coffee...

Red Sox won 6-0 last night as Curt Schilling was very sharp (7 innings, 8 K's, 0 runs)... The Yankees also won last night and I have no problem admitting that the first thing I did was check the box-score to see if Derek Jeter got a hit. He did not - 0-4 - meaning he is now 0 for his last 32 at bats. Bizarro Dimaggio lives... Finally got around to seeing Mystic River last night. I am a huge Lord of the Rings geek but I must say that there is no way that Return of the King was a better movie than Mystic River - Clint Eastwood was robbed. I went into the movie not being a real big Sean Penn fan but he was excellent. Tim Robbins deserves every award he won for his role in this movie... Doc Rivers will be named the head basketball coach of the Celtics today. I was rooting for Dennis Johnson to get the job but I'm happy with the choice of Rivers. I am also realistic enough to know that it really doesn't matter who the coach is - this Celtics team isn't very good right now... I am very disappointed (but not surprised) with ABC News and Ted Koppel in particular. Koppel will be reading the names of the soldiers who have died in Iraq on Friday and that is all he will do. This is a stunt and it comes during a ratings week (a fact that is well known by the producers of the show and maybe the reason why they are doing this stunt in the first place). As Glenn Reynolds points outs - Koppel never took the time to read the 3,000 plus names of those who died on September 11th. Using the names of the brave dead men as a prop for ratings is beneath contempt...

No comments:

Post a Comment