Thursday, April 22, 2004

Rookies and Respect

Some of you may recall that my choice for NL Rookie of the Year was Aaron Miles of the Rockies. So far Miles is holding up his end - leading NL rookies in batting average, OPS, RBI, runs (tied) and HR (tied). Miles main competition for the award will most likely be shortstops Kaz Matsui of the Mets and Khalil Greene of the Padres.

One stat that jumped out at me though is the fact that Kaz Matsui has been intentionally walked 3 times so far this season. That puts him tied for third in the league with Chipper Jones and Luis Gonzalez behind only Barry Bonds and Albert Pujols. What is with all the respect being paid to Matsui? Is there a Mets fan out there that can explain the IBB's?

EDIT: After I posted this I realized that I did not even check the rookie pitchers in the NL (in my mind I guess I thought that with Edwin Jackson starting the season at AAA that there wasn't any rookie pitchers of note). I thus overlooked Sergio Mitre of the Cubs who is 1-0 in three starts for the Cubs with a very impressive 2.89 ERA and 7.23 K/9.

No comments:

Post a Comment