Monday, October 17, 2005

Flotsam and Jetsam

Miscellaneous thoughts and observations.

Congrats to the White Sox for making the World Series. I feel bad for the Angels but I hope the players and fans don't try to make Doug Eddings a scapegoat. The White Sox just plain out-pitched them... This is cool. My wife and I have often spoken of hiking the Appalachian Trail when the kids are all grown and out of our hair... It looks like its going to the White Sox vs. the Astros which means that we will have a new World Series winner for the sixth straight year. It also means that if it is the Astros ($77 million) vs. White Sox ($75 million) - it will be the 12th top payroll vs. the 13th top payroll. So much for the Yankees or Red Sox buying championships... I wonder if the Ken Powers mentioned in the America Discovery Trail story I linked above is the same Ken Powers who got fired from the Worcester Telegram & Gazette for plagarizing Peter King? That Ken Powers seems to have dropped off the face of the earth... Larry Walker looks like a guy who should retire. He made over $12 million this year alone. The only reason I can see for him coming back would be if he feels healthy enough and signs with a AL team that has a great shot at the title next year. So unless the Red Sox, A's, Yankees or Angels want him - he's probably done. Walker is also the top MLB HR hitter ever to hail from Canada. Do you have any idea who is second for Canadians in HR?... Speaking of "do you know" - I've found that most people have no idea that "Astros" is short for "Astronauts"... If it is Astros vs. White Sox - look for someone to do a big Everett vs. Everett story. Adam Everett of the Astros was traded to the Astros from the Red Sox for Carl Everett (now of the White Sox)... In one of my fantasy football leagues I started Daunte Culpepper at QB while my opponent started Brett Farve who was off this week. They both finished with 0 points. Culpepper has single handedly killed me in that league. This is the third or fourth week where he either had 0 or negative points... Matt Stairs is second in HR among Canadian born MLB players... Speaking of Brett Favre - do you remember his performance the first game after his father died? It was legendary and what you might expect from a MVP. Call me cold but Favre was the first person I thought of after reading this. A-Rod didn't produce in the playoffs because he was sad? You decided for yourself but I know what I think of A-Rod...

No comments:

Post a Comment