Monday, October 24, 2005

The West Wing, the World Series and Sleep

Last night I missed the first third of The West Wing because I was watching the World Series. After watching The West Wing I watched some more of the World Series and then I decided to watch the rest of the game up in my bedroom. Of course I ended up falling asleep and missing what sounds like an extraordinary ending. If I hadn't gone 5 for 5 on my NFL picks yesterday I might be kind of bummed this morning. As it is - I'm pretty chipper.

The West Wing episode was one of the worst I can remember ever seeing. Instead of resolving the leak thing it looks like it will be prolonged as Toby's lawyer convinces him to make a deal and be a martyr (last night he was opposed to that but you know he'll change his mind over greater moral principles - Oliver Babish also seems to think of him as a martyr). The film school technique things in the show were really bugging me. Show a scene in the hall reflected off a turned off TV screen, focus on the President's wringing hands while he speaks, on and on with the little devices. The only redeeming thing about the show was when Bartlett called Toby out for being a superior sumbitch. That was long over due.

When I went upstairs to watch the rest of the game - it was the sixth inning. I watched an inning before closing my eyes so I could just "listen" to the game. I awoke at 12:30 having missed Konerko's grand slam in the seventh, the Astros rallying in the 9th and Posednik's walk-off HR to end the game. But I'm well rested.

Not sure what the line is but I'm taking Roy Oswalt and the Astros in the next game. I get the feeling that will be a lock.

Speaking of betting - yesterday I went 5 for 5 with "my" picks. I put scare quotes around my because the picks were actually Mike Ganis' (Chargers, Washington, Vikings and Oakland) and I also took the pick of the week from The Cold, Hard Football Facts (Colts). It was their picks but my money (and never you mind how much).

No comments:

Post a Comment