Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Adam Vinatieri

I was surprised as anyone when I heard the news that Adam Vinatieri had signed with the Indianapolis Colts. Upon reflection though - I think this is just one of those things where neither side is wrong (but that also doesn't make either side right).

From Adam's perspective I speculate that the thought process was along the lines of:

- I'm 33-years old and I'm one of the best kickers in the league. I need to get a good contract because at my age it may be my last.
- Last year I added strength to my legs because I was concerned about my kickoffs getting short. The added strength did add a few yards to my kickoffs but my accuracy was the worst its been in years (80%). Going to a dome stadium will prolong my career because it will allow me to kickoff deep enough and yet be as accurate as possible (I have always kicked my best in dome stadiums).
- I could sign with the Patriots for less money but what if I have another bad year? I don't want to become Drew Bledsoe to some young gun's Tom Brady. And with the way Belichick loves competition in training camp - this isn't just paranoia.
- Based upon what I've done for the franchise - shouldn't they overpay me at this point? Its not like its a ton of money compared to a defensive lineman and its not like a defensive lineman can win a game in the final seconds the way I can and have for the Patriots.
- This wasn't personal - it was business.

From the Patriots perspective:

- We love Adam but we have a plan. We can't overpay anyone - no matter who they are and what they did in the past. We can't afford to live in the past and remain competitive at the same time.
- We prefer not to pay any position at the highest rate in the league. That's just our policy.
- Our analysis says that Adam is no longer the best kicker in the league and we can't pay him as the best kicker. The numbers don't lie.

Two things that as a fan I keep thinking of:

1. Tedy Bruschi took a "hometown discount" because the idea of coming to Foxboro in any other uniform than the Patriots was abhorrent to him. Vinatieri obviously did not feel the same way. He made a business decision and good luck to him but that decision has also stripped him of his "specialness" as far as fans are concerned.
2. In the book Patriot Reign - Belichick had a discussion about Lawyer Milloy where someone was talking about all the "big plays" Milloy made the season before and Belichick challenged the assistant coach to show him on film any big plays Milloy made the year before. Milloy was one of the leaders of the team but he was living on reputation and Belichick has since been proven right about that move. Vinatieri may just lead the league in scoring (just as Ty Law led the AFC in interceptions this year) but that doesn't mean that Belichick isn't correct in thinking Vinatieri is past his prime and not worth the salary space for the Patriots.

No comments:

Post a Comment