Thursday, March 02, 2006

Flotsam and Jetsam – Alabama Edition Part II

More miscellaneous thoughts and observations from the great state of Alabama.

I’ve been in Canada and have had The Guess Who come on and my general reaction was to turn the station. Yesterday as I got on Route 65 in Alabama, I heard Lynard Skynard come on the radio. It's really something to hear Free Bird while driving in Alabama. I can’t tell you how pumped it made me feel (but I can tell you what speed my rental car topped out at)... Speaking of driving in Alabama, one thing I noticed is a definite lack of bumper stickers. I went about 25 minutes on Route 65 seeing only 5 cars with bumper stickers. Two of them had American flag stickers, two had the yellow ribbon support the troops stickers and one had a big orange “T” for Tennessee. No Vermont mobiles (beater cars with a dozen or more bumper stickers supporting things like “Earth First”, “Impeach Bush”, “Bake sales not bombs”, etc.). People up North like to make fun of people from the South as stupid but at least they are smart enough to not ruin the paint job on their car with $.99 pieces of sticky tape with pithy slogans... When people down here talk about Spring Training – they’re not talking about baseball. They’re talking about college football spring practice. I find that amusing... What is it with catfish ponds? Many people down here have man-made catfish ponds on their front lawns. I guess this is the equivalent of how many people have backyard hockey rinks up North… This World Baseball Classic will never really take off in the US unless they move it to mid-November when everyone can play...

No comments:

Post a Comment