Monday, March 20, 2006

Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena

Reds and Reds Sox make a trade.

- Sad to see the man named after Charles Bronson traded for someone named after a coyote who could never catch that pesky roadrunner

- I've thought Bronson Arroyo was a bit over-rated by local fans and I also thought that last year he lost his focus on baseball because of his "singing" career. Last year his ERA was 5.08 after the all-star game (which co-incided with Arroyo starting to do his concerts).

- I guess the idea will be to have Pena platoon with Trot Nixon with Pena playing against lefties. However, I have to wonder if Pena will be happy being a part time player. This could be a problem worth keeping an eye on. The saying is "you can never have too much pitching" is repeated for a reason. Having too many outfielders on the other hand can be a problem.

- I feel bad for Dustin Mohr - he deserved to be the 4th outfielder on the big club but now will be playing elsewhere or at Pawtucket.

- Baseball-reference.com has Pena's career OPS+ at 100 (which is exactly average) and Arroyo's ERA+ at 100 (which is also exactly average). I just found that strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment