Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Name Game

Much is being made up here in New England over the fact that Bill Belichick has finally found it within himself to utter at least part of the name of the head coach of the New York Jets. Belichick has been quoted as saying, “I think the players have done a good job, I think Eric has done a good job.”

Personally – I think Belichick missed an opportunity. Instead of calling Mangini “Eric” – it would have been great if Belichick instead said, “I think the players have done a good job, I think Tubby has done a good job.” Belichick could have then just said, “Oh that’s what everyone called him up here. No offense was meant – just our pet name for him. He’s done a good job.”

The “Tubby” comment probably would have put Mangini off his game and gave the Patriots an edge. Mangini would have been answering "Tubby" questions for the rest of the week.

By the same token – I think a bunch of the best coaches should have gotten together to screw with Nick Saban. Imagine what would have happened if coaches like Belichick, Mike Shanahan in Denver and Pete Carroll at USC all came out with the same quote, “I wish Nick all the luck in the world but I kinda wish Alabama had called me about the job.”

That would have kept the talk shows busy down in Alabama and it would have put Saban on the instant hot seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment