Monday, June 22, 2020

Ask Not for Whom the Bell Tolls - It Tolls for Thee MLB

Fenway Park used to be a place I'd go to watch Red Sox baseball games but going forward it will be a place I occasionally go to concerts. Like many baseball fans I've had enough.

It is still uncertain if MLB will even play any games in 2020. And if they do play - how many games? But for many fans, like myself, I could care less at this point if they come back or not.

The NBA and NHL are trying to resume their seasons and are much further along than baseball. If these leagues are successful then the epitaph for MLB is all but written.

By my count there are only 12 MLB markets that won't have competition (often on the same nights) from NBA or NHL playoff teams. Many markets, like Boston, will have competition from both the NBA and NHL. I know if it comes to a choice between a regular season game for the Red Sox or a playoff game for the Celtics or Bruins - I'm watching the playoffs. There's a good chance I'd only have the chance to watch less than a handful of Red Sox regular season games.

Then you also have to factor in college football and the NFL. Once late August and September rolls around how many sports fans in Atlanta, for example, are going to tune into a Braves game on a Saturday when Georgia is playing an SEC game or the Falcons are playing an NFL game on Sunday?

Fantasy Baseball is ruined for the season and many folks, again like me, are done with wasting my time with that pursuit. Not just for this season but done period! What's left to make the game attractive to viewers of any age at this point? Sure if the Red Sox make the playoffs I'll probably tune in (as long as it doesn't clash with the Patriots schedule or a top college football match-up).

I can even foresee a time in the not too distant future where the top professional baseball teams will actually be in Asia

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure I could name a Red Sox player today. I have lost interest in professional sports as they are more and more about salaries and politics. They get closer to big time wrestling every year, it will be more like performance art and not so much about athleticism, I am afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite Red Sox player is Mookie Betts.

    Oh wait a second...

    ReplyDelete