Wednesday, May 03, 2023

A Clean, Well-Lighted Place


Recently I came to the realization that I enjoy clean, well-lighted places to drink and read my books. Being fairly well-read and a fan of Hemingway I also immediately recognized this thought as close to the title of his 1933 short story, A Clean, Well-Lighted Place.

This prompted me to Google the short story and I immediately got this on what Hemingway was trying to say:

In "A Clean, Well-Lighted Place," Hemingway suggests that life has no meaning and that man is an insignificant spec in a great sea of nothingness. 

No - maybe Hemingway was simply saying a clean, well-lighted place is much better than a dark, grimy bar. Sometimes the curtains are just fucking blue!

I have three clean, well-lighted places in my local bar rotation and am always looking for more. For the other bars in my rotation I have my back lit Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment